You might not know where they actually grow, or even the fact that they landed on the endangered species list a little over a decade ago, but you'll recognize them as soon as you see them. I'm talking about the giant water lilies that dominate sections of the Paraguay River. Now, after being nearly eradicated due to human interference, the massive lily pads are making a comeback and once again delighting visitors.
The giant lilies, which go by the scientific name Victoria cruziana, are absolutely massive. They have regularly been measured at over five feet in diameter, and their curled edges give them an almost otherworldly appearance. Unfortunately, mankind nearly wiped them out.
BGR Top Deals:
- Today’s top deals: $12 Alexa smart bulb, Nest Thermostat, Sony soundbar, perfect egg cooker, more
- 8 paid iPhone apps on sale for free right now
Trending Right Now:
- Another new feature was just confirmed for the Galaxy S9
- Researchers discover bizarre ‘Hypatia’ stone is made from material not found in our Solar System
- Google just acquired a startup that transforms screens into speakers
World-famous giant lily pads make a comeback after brush with extinction originally appeared on BGR.com on Thu, 11 Jan 2018 at 15:54:53 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.