Watch this crazy shape-shifting drone transform in mid-air
When you think of a drone, you probably imagine a small machine with four propellers and a camera strapped to the bottom. That's what most consumer drones look like, but the team at JSK Lab at the University of Tokyo have built a fascinating new drone they call DRAGON, which stands for "Dual-rotor embedded multilink Robot with the Ability of multi-deGree-of-freedom aerial transformatiON." No, that is not a joke. It's really called that.
As IEEE Spectrum explains, the drone is made up of several smaller modules, powered by ducted fans and attached to one another by hinged joints, giving the drone the ability to transform while in motion. Each of the modules can roll and pitch in virtually any direction, which means the drone can snake through the smallest of openings.
BGR Top Deals:
- Today’s best deals: Awesome air fryer, return of the $10 Crock-Pot, $4 iPhone X case, $15 router, more
- You know the AirPods rivals everyone loves? They’re somehow only $18.79 right now
Trending Right Now:
- The most innovative new Samsung phone in years might have a serious challenger
- Microsoft just pulled the coolest new Windows 10 feature from its beta
- One more Avenger who died in ‘Infinity War’ is getting a new standalone movie
Watch this crazy shape-shifting drone transform in mid-air originally appeared on BGR.com on Fri, 29 Jun 2018 at 18:39:14 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.