Tyrannosaurus rex was a big meanie, so this newly discovered dinosaur wore plenty of armor
Living in the Cretaceous period would have been pretty darn dangerous for pretty much any animal. Dinosaurs were out in full force, and massive carnivores ruled the land with sharp claws and even sharper teeth. Herbivores had it rough, and the ones that managed to survive did so either thanks to their incredible size or a wealth of armor. A newly discovered species of ankylosaur called Akainacephalus johnsoni is a perfect example of the latter.
Researchers first discovered the fossilized bones of this new dinosaur some time ago but have been carefully piecing it together for years, and now it's finally ready for its time in the spotlight. The research was published in PeerJ (PDF).
BGR Top Deals:
- Amazon’s new Dyson cordless vacuum deal is so much better than anything we saw on Prime Day
- The Logitech Harmony remote and hub bundle everyone loves is within $8 of its lowest price ever
Trending Right Now:
- ‘Avengers 4’ to resurrect one ‘Infinity War’ hero who doesn’t like to stay dead
- Forget the Galaxy Note 9, a different Android phone will try to steal you away from 2018 iPhones
- Man catches shark, shark gets eaten by an even bigger fish, man does not catch shark
Tyrannosaurus rex was a big meanie, so this newly discovered dinosaur wore plenty of armor originally appeared on BGR.com on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 at 23:34:21 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.