Twitter may be getting rid of the ‘like’ button
After a spate of hate-fueled shootings in recent days, as well as the arrest of the pipe bomber targeting prominent liberals, social platforms find themselves once again under scrutiny for the part they play -- inadvertently or not -- in helping foment the spread of a certain kind of anger -- the kind of anger that spills over into violence.
Indeed, Twitter appeared to be one of the platforms of choice for the alleged pipe bomber, whose account has since been suspended but who used it to spread angry rhetoric and whose threatening tweets forced Twitter to issue an apology to a former congressional press secretary who he'd harassed. These are certainly complex issues that defy easy, one-size-fits-all solutions. Which is one reason it's strange to learn that, according to a report that's been zipping around Twitter today, the social network, in an effort to improve the quality of debate on its platform, is thinking about killing off the 'like' button.
BGR Top Deals:
- Nothing will make your cable company angrier than this $44 box
- Exclusive deal: Smart LEDs as good as $50 Philips Hue bulbs are only $15 today
Trending Right Now:
- This is by far the best and most heartbreaking ‘Avengers 4’ theory so far
- Forget Black Friday, Sam’s Club’s killer iPhone XS and iPhone XR deal is coming soon
- 2018 iPad Pro with USB-C port, no home button appears in new renders