This meteorite was hiding a mineral that has never been found on Earth
Humans have been on Earth for long enough that we have a pretty darn good idea of what our planet is made of. Scientists have discovered, analyzed, and categorized countless minerals, and we know which ones are rare and which ones are abundant on our planet. So, when astronomers analyzing a meteorite discovered a material that has never been found on Earth before, it's a big deal.
A space rock found in Russia — called the Uakit meteorite because of where it was found — contains some things that Earth just doesn't have. The majority of the rock is made up of a material called kamacite, which an alloy of iron and a little bit of nickel. It's an alloy that has only ever been found in space rocks, but that wasn't even the most interesting thing the meteorite was hiding.
BGR Top Deals:
- Today’s best deals: Top-selling headphones and Bluetooth speaker, 128GB SanDisk microSD for $31, more
- The best-selling over-ear Bluetooth headphones on Amazon’s entire site are back down to $28
Trending Right Now:
- Previously unseen ‘Captain Marvel’ Easter egg found in ‘Avengers: Infinity War’
- Why you should be excited about the Galaxy Note 9 even if you don’t plan to buy it
- There’s one more beloved Marvel character who did not die in ‘Infinity War’
This meteorite was hiding a mineral that has never been found on Earth originally appeared on BGR.com on Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 12:35:34 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.