These photos show just how badly staring at the solar eclipse will mess up your eyes
Before the solar eclipse earlier this year, scientists had one warning: Don't stare directly at a partial eclipse, or the sun will scortch your retinas. The advice made sense -- after all, the sun is a giant radiation-emitting ball of burning gas -- but the warnings lacked the kind of finger-wagging pictures the dentist uses to teach small kids to brush.
Well, not any more. Thanks to the noble sacrifice of a 20-something woman who stared at the partial eclipse, we know exactly what happens if your eyeballs fly too close to the sun.
BGR Top Deals:
- Today’s best deals: $46 sound bar, best fast wireless charger, August lock, Norelco shavers, more
- If you own a Roku or a Fire TV, you need this brilliant $25 accessory
Trending Right Now:
- Here’s what your cat is telling you when it shows you its butt
- Details emerge about a third new iPhone X successor Apple will debut next year
- Scientists find ancient crab that looks like Darth Vader, so they named it after him
These photos show just how badly staring at the solar eclipse will mess up your eyes originally appeared on BGR.com on Thu, 7 Dec 2017 at 18:26:36 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.