These bizarre ancient creatures looked like huge aquatic plants, but they were actually animals
Fossil hunting isn't quite as cut-and-dry as you might think it is. Finding the leftovers of a creature that lived a hundred million years ago is exciting, and while dinosaurs and many plants are relatively easy to identify based on their remains, creatures from even farther back in Earth's history have left scientists scratching their heads.
One group of organisms which got its start in the Ediacaran period — roughly 500 million years ago, or so — looked a bit like oversized leaves that could measure up to two meters in length. Long-studied, these organisms confounded researchers for years, with scientists unable to determine if they were indeed plants or animals, or maybe something in between. Now, new research points to them indeed being animals, albeit ones that seem utterly alien here on Earth.
BGR Top Deals:
- Today’s best deals: Top-selling headphones and Bluetooth speaker, 128GB SanDisk microSD for $31, more
- Fix the Nintendo Switch’s biggest problem with this simple $16 accessory
Trending Right Now:
- Why you should be excited about the Galaxy Note 9 even if you don’t plan to buy it
- Previously unseen ‘Captain Marvel’ Easter egg found in ‘Avengers: Infinity War’
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Release date, specs, and everything else we know
These bizarre ancient creatures looked like huge aquatic plants, but they were actually animals originally appeared on BGR.com on Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 13:44:23 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.