It doesn’t make its own smartphone (anymore), and it doesn’t have a regular computer either. But Amazon is the undisputed king of voice computing at home. Its Echo devices sell better than anything else, with Google’s Home coming in second place.
Apple should have launched a voice-activated smart speaker next month, but the HomePod isn’t coming until early 2018. Even if it’d launch now, the HomePod would still be a sound-centric accessory, meant to offer users better sound rather than a smart home experience. Siri would still work on the HomePod, but the device needs an iPhone to be truly smart.
It turns out the HomePod has quite a development story at Apple, and it’s mostly a sad one. “This is a huge missed opportunity,” an unnamed Apple employee said in an interview while revealing some of the HomePod's secrets.
BGR Top Deals:
- Amazon’s huge Black Friday Bose sale is already going strong
- These $24 wireless earbuds sound better than $159 AirPods
Trending Right Now:
- The unthinkable happened: New Android phone crushes iPhone X in speed test
- Exclusive: Renders reveal Samsung’s new Galaxy S9 design
- Verizon Black Friday 2017 deals: 50% off Galaxy S8, Note8, Pixel 2 and more
The sad inside story of the HomePod, Apple’s ‘huge missed opportunity’ originally appeared on BGR.com on Tue, 21 Nov 2017 at 17:07:44 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.