Last month, astronomers got a shock when they spotted what appeared to be an object from outside our Solar System cruising around the sun and heading back out into the depths of space. After combing through the data, they determined that the object was an asteroid, making it the first such interstellar visitor to be documented by mankind. Now, researchers closely studying the asteroid and its behavior have released their findings in Nature, and it paints and incredibly odd picture of what the asteroid looked like.
When you think of an asteroid you likely imagine a round-ish rock, perhaps with small peaks and valleys, but overall a spherical or oval shape tumbling through space. The interstellar visitor that zipped through our Solar System in late October looks very, very different. Oumuamua, as the rock has been named, is like a cigar, measuring some 800 meters long but only 80 meters across. Yeah, it's a real weirdo.
BGR Top Deals:
- Can someone please explain why Apple didn’t include this $13 accessory with every pair of AirPods?
- Black Friday just came early for one of our favorite pairs of wireless headphones
Trending Right Now:
- Samsung accidentally confirmed it’s making a Galaxy X
- The unthinkable happened: New Android phone crushes iPhone X in speed test
- The best Black Friday 2017 sales you can shop online right now: Walmart, Best Buy, more
The mysterious asteroid that just visited our Solar System looks so weird originally appeared on BGR.com on Tue, 21 Nov 2017 at 10:55:18 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.