When astronomers first spotted the odd, cigar-shaped object later determined to be the asteroid Oumuamua a couple of months back, initial observations suggested it was a comet. Upon getting a better look at the object, and realizing it lacked the iconic comet "tail," the scientists decided it must actually be an asteroid.
Now, after studying their data even more closely, it seems that at least some scientists are now second guessing their second guess, and that Oumuamua might actually be a comet after all.
BGR Top Deals:
- The wireless speakers that replaced my sound bar dropped to their lowest price ever
- Today’s best deals: Philips Hue bundles, Oculus Rift, PS4 Slim bundle, Fitbit Ionic, Fire TV, more
Trending Right Now:
- You can finally change the Google Assistant hotword on your Android phone
- New rumor offers some exciting news about Samsung’s boring Galaxy S9 upgrade
- A three-mile-wide asteroid just slipped by Earth, but its next pass will really be one for the books
That weird ‘alien probe’ asteroid might not be an asteroid after all originally appeared on BGR.com on Mon, 18 Dec 2017 at 16:49:14 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.