Today's penguins might be cute, charming little flightless birds that draw your eye at your local zoo, but things were a whole lot different some 59 million years ago. Researchers working in New Zealand revealed today the discovery of an absolutely massive ancient penguin that would have given an adult human a real fright if the two were ever to have crossed paths.
The long-dead creature has been named Kumimanu biceae, which means "monster bird," and it most certainly lives up to that moniker. The giant penguin is thought to have stood around 5 feet 10 inches tall, which would have allowed it to stare many humans right in the eye, and it weighed a whopping 220 pounds when grown. Let's just say you wouldn't want to be competing against it for a fish.
BGR Top Deals:
- If you upgraded from an old iPhone to an iPhone X or 8, get this $13 accessory
- Now you can cut the cord without losing live TV or your DVR
Trending Right Now:
- After years of copying the iPhone, Samsung’s Galaxy S9 will finally copy Apple’s smartest strategy
- SpaceX forced to push back launch of used rocket after finding dirt
- 2018 phones will finally get in-display fingerprint scanners – should they follow the iPhone X instead?
Man-sized ancient penguins once ruled the coast of New Zealand originally appeared on BGR.com on Wed, 13 Dec 2017 at 12:38:21 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.