Surprise! There’s a quadrillion tons of diamonds lying beneath your feet
Finding a diamond on the ground would make anyone's day. Depending on its quality, you might be able to sell it for a nice little payday. Now imagine finding a quadrillion tons of diamonds, only you'll never be able to actually reach them. That's exactly what researchers from MIT have accomplished with the help of seismic waves flowing through the Earth.
Using what they already know about how seismic waves travel through different types of material, the researchers took a close look at seismograph data from large-scale events like earthquakes and made a startling estimation: There's an almost unfathomable amount of diamond deep within the planet.
TOP AMAZON PRIME DAY DEALS:
- Your cable company is going to hate this Prime Day deal so much
- Prime Day deal: These hot new wireless headphones are better than Beats Studios for half the price
- Amazon has 5 different Crock-Pot cookers on sale for Prime Day 2018
Trending Right Now:
- You asked for a ‘cheap’ iPhone X, so don’t complain about this slightly uglier bezel
- Boost Mobile founder wants to build a $10-a-month home broadband service from Sprint’s ashes
- The specs of the only Samsung tablet worth buying this year just leaked
Surprise! There’s a quadrillion tons of diamonds lying beneath your feet originally appeared on BGR.com on Tue, 17 Jul 2018 at 22:02:24 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.