Horseshoe crabs are pretty strange looking creatures, with large domed shells covering insect-like bodies, but as odd as they are they've actually managed to stick around for a long, long time. The creatures have been on Earth in one form or another for hundreds of millions of years, and researchers have just discovered a 245-million-year-old fossil of one subspecies that looks a whole lot like an iconic sci-fi villain.
The newly discovered crab has been officially named Vaderlimulus thanks to its uncanny resemblance to the Star Wars bad guy's headgear. Its wide, swooping shell is smaller with more a more severe angle and sharper points than modern day horseshoe crabs, and it's a perfect fit for a galaxy far, far away.
BGR Top Deals:
- Today’s best deals: $46 sound bar, best fast wireless charger, August lock, Norelco shavers, more
- If you own a Roku or a Fire TV, you need this brilliant $25 accessory
Trending Right Now:
- Here’s what your cat is telling you when it shows you its butt
- Details emerge about a third new iPhone X successor Apple will debut next year
- People are ditching cable at record speed, so of course AT&T is hiking prices
Scientists find ancient crab that looks like Darth Vader, so they named it after him originally appeared on BGR.com on Thu, 7 Dec 2017 at 13:43:31 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.