There's plenty of interesting things to find here on Earth. Archaeologists and paleontologists are constantly discovering relics of the past that nobody ever knew was there, but rarely do scientists realize they've stumbled upon something that doesn't belong on Earth, or even in our own Solar System. That appears to be the case with a small rock discovered way back in 1996. Named the "Hypatia" stone (after a famous scientist), the rock has just revealed its secrets to geologists, and they were shocked by what they found.
The stone itself is tiny, its fragments measuring just centimeters across, but its diminutive size belies its remarkable history. In a new study published in a popular geology journal, researchers reveal that the stone didn't originate here on Earth, and it's likely that the rock predates even the formation of our own sun and the planets in our Solar System.
BGR Top Deals:
- This $48 sound bar has a 5-star rating on Amazon, and it’s time to see what all the fuss is about
- Double the speed of your Fire TV or Chromecast with a simple $19 gadget
Trending Right Now:
- Another new feature was just confirmed for the Galaxy S9
- This iPhone X deal is too good to turn down, T-Mobile customer or not
- Groundbreaking invention can restore old lithium batteries to 95% capacity
Researchers discover bizarre ‘Hypatia’ stone is made from material not found in our Solar System originally appeared on BGR.com on Thu, 11 Jan 2018 at 11:21:32 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.