Researchers built AI-powered gliders that learn how to fly just like birds
It took mankind untold eons to learn how to fly, but now artificial intelligence is doing something similar and in a fraction of the time. No, there's no robots constructing planes like the Wright brothers, but some AI-powered gliders are indeed learning how to cruise through the air just like birds, and they're getting pretty good at it.
Researchers equipped a glider with an advanced algorithm and control system that allows it to navigate wind currents in the same way that birds to. By finding updrafts which help it stay aloft, the glider can slip through the air indefinitely, much like birds to when trying to minimize their energy output.
BGR Top Deals:
- Prime members can still get a 4K Fire TV for the price of a Fire TV Stick
- Today’s top deals: Kindle Paperwhite, Nest thermostat, $20 Bluetooth earphones, top robot vacuum, more
Trending Right Now:
- Scientists gave a bunch of octopuses ecstasy and they started acting just like humans
- An army of spiders is slowly taking over a Greek town, but it’s totally fine
- Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL were just listed on an online store
Researchers built AI-powered gliders that learn how to fly just like birds originally appeared on BGR.com on Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 22:02:30 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.