Debuting 13 years ago, the utility quickly established itself, and remains the go-to app for converting video on the Mac for playback on other devices, such as the iPad, iPhone, and Apple TV. The app has remained popular over the years, due to its comprehensive array of options, and wide video support.
Version 1.0 of the popular utility brings new tools, updated conversion presets which include newer devices, interface improvements, and more.
Handbrake 1.0’s new features include:
– Updated all tooltips
– Added undo/redo support to the graphical interface
– Improved drag and drop support
– Added Open Recent to the File menu
– Added Add Titles to Queue… to the File menu (batch queueing)
– Preview prompts to open in an external application when the internal player does not support the format
– Preview now displays volume and audio/subtitles language selection during playback
– Picture and Filters settings are now part of the main window
– Settings are preserved when selecting a new title (instead of reloading the last selected preset)
– Improved support for importing/exporting comma-separated (.csv) chapter markers
– Queue is now automatically paused when available disk space is low
– When Done action can now be changed directly from the Queue window
– When Done notification is now interactive (reveals the encoded file in Finder)
– Activity Log window is now searchable (press “?”+”f” to activate)
– XQuartz is no longer required for subtitle burn-in
– Updated Sparkle software update library
– Enabled DSA signature checking for improved security
– Usability improvements
– Miscellaneous bug fixes
Handbrake is free, and is only officially available from the Handbrake website. (Mac, Windows, and Ubuntu versions are available at the link.