When OnePlus launched the OnePlus 5T late this year, one of the only big differences that helped separate the two was Face Unlock, the OnePlus 5T's biometric facial recognition feature. Unlike Face ID on the iPhone X, the 5T's Face Unlock only uses a regular selfie camera, instead of a fancy infrared depth-mapping camera. That makes for a facial scan that's less secure and unique, but also faster, and crucially, one that's only based in software.
The lack of dedicated hardware also means that OnePlus can bring Face Unlock to older devices, and that's exactly what it plans to do, following customer feedback. OnePlus 5 owners, time to be happy, because OnePlus just gave you a very timely Christmas present.
BGR Top Deals:
- $19 device doubles the speed of your Fire TV or Chromecast
- This popular Nighthawk model just overtook Google Wifi as Amazon’s best-selling router
Trending Right Now:
- This Face ID issue will make you regret the iPhone X’s lack of Touch ID
- Julian Assange’s Twitter account vanished for around 12 hours
- These truly wireless earbuds are like AirPods, but they cost $40 instead of $159
OnePlus is bringing its new Face Unlock feature to the older OnePlus 5 originally appeared on BGR.com on Mon, 25 Dec 2017 at 14:36:49 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.