OnePlus copied the iPhone X, but it also improved Apple’s design in one important way
Like most other smartphone vendors out there, OnePlus has a history of copying Apple’s iPhone designs. The notion of Android vendors copying Apple’s iPhone designs is obviously nothing new. But last year’s OnePlus 5 is notable because it was one of the most blatant iPhone copies we had seen in quite some time. In a nutshell, the OnePlus 5 was an iPhone 7 Plus that ran Android. I mean, look at this thing. Not only did it sport the same design, OnePlus even copied elements of Apple’s software design, such as the camera UI. That was particularly ironic, because the OnePlus 5 also copied the iPhone 7 Plus’ dual-lens rear camera and used the second lens for the exact same features as Apple’s iPhone: Optical zoom and a portrait mode effect.
In 2018, OnePlus dialed things back a bit. Sort of. Yes, one of the first things you’ll notice about the newly announced OnePlus 6 is that it has a notch cut out of the top of the display, and it’s shaped just like the one on the iPhone X. The OnePlus 6 is one of dozens of Android phones that copy the iPhone X’s display design, though — you can see 20 Android-powered iPhone X copycats all in one place right here. There are a few other ways the OnePlus 6 takes inspiration from Apple, but there’s also one important way that this phone improves upon Apple’s iPhone X design.
BGR Top Deals:
- Today’s best deals: $20 cord-free earbuds, best Fire TV accessory, waterproof speaker, Crock-Pots, more
- Who needs an Apple Watch when this $77 smartwatch lasts 45 days per charge?
Trending Right Now:
- HTC just announced the world’s first blockchain phone
- Galaxy Note 9 and S10 may launch early, but it’s the secret reason why that has us intrigued
- Microsoft might be about to release cheaper Surface tablets, but it’s not because of the iPad
OnePlus copied the iPhone X, but it also improved Apple’s design in one important way originally appeared on BGR.com on Wed, 16 May 2018 at 13:39:39 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.