Nintendo is proving that Switch excitement is about more than low expectations
When a pre-recorded Nintendo Direct presentation dropped out of nowhere on the company's website yesterday, it immediately became one of the top trending stories of the day. Despite the fact that it only featured a single exclusive game announcement, the presentation still felt like the awakening of a dormant volcano.
Nintendo fans (and game fans in general) are as excited about the Switch as they have been about anything in ages. At first, it would have been easy to attribute this to the low expectations set by the Wii U. It really looked like Nintendo might be losing whatever edge it had. So when the Switch -- which looked like a potential disaster in the making -- launched relatively smoothly with an exciting lineup of games, the community was taken aback.
Not only had Nintendo clawed its way back out of the hole it had dug itself into, but it had done so with a console that was basically the Wii U 2.0. But we're now a year out from the big Nintendo Switch presentation of last January, and the enthusiasm surrounding the Switch has yet to die down. The Nintendo Direct just proved it.
BGR Top Deals:
- Today’s top deals: $12 Alexa smart bulb, Nest Thermostat, Sony soundbar, perfect egg cooker, more
- Hurry: AirPods are in stock right now on Amazon with Prime shipping
Trending Right Now:
- Samsung’s most exciting phone in years is ‘almost finished’ but nowhere near ready to launch
- Another new feature was just confirmed for the Galaxy S9
- Is the era of copying Apple’s every move finally over for Android phone makers?
Nintendo is proving that Switch excitement is about more than low expectations originally appeared on BGR.com on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 at 12:09:36 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.