New ransomware holds your files hostage until you play ‘PUBG’
As our ability to keep private data safe and secure online continues to be tested day in and day out, be it political data firms or bad actors from other countries, it's nice to cover lighter news on occasion. This week, a group of do-gooders who go by MalwareHunterTeam on Twitter discovered a new, hysterical form of ransomware.
Rather than force you to pay up to unlock your encrypted data, all that the so-called "PUBG Ransomware" wants you to do is play the popular battle royale game PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds for an hour. That's right, if you ever want to decrypt your files on your computer, you're going to have to play a video game.
BGR Top Deals:
- New smartwatch has 45-day battery life and costs less than $100 vs. the $330+ Apple Watch
- 9 paid iPhone apps that are free downloads right now
Trending Right Now:
- New study has a theory for why we haven’t found aliens yet, and it makes a whole lot of sense
- Apple ordered to pay half a billion dollars in damages to a patent troll
- Ever wonder why you have eyebrows? Scientists think they now have the answer
New ransomware holds your files hostage until you play ‘PUBG’ originally appeared on BGR.com on Wed, 11 Apr 2018 at 17:54:36 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.