For a while, it seemed like customizable avatars might be the next big thing in console gaming. From Nintendo's Miis to the Xbox Live Avatars that debuted on Xbox 360 in 2008, the idea of creating a character that could represent you across an entire online ecosystem was an intriguing one. But like most fads, avatars eventually vanished.
When Nintendo made it clear that Mii characters were no longer a priority on the Switch, it seemed like it might be the end of the road for avatars on consoles. But then Microsoft surprised Xbox One owners at E3 last year by unveiling a total overhaul of its Xbox Live Avatars, complete with a modern visual makeover for the new generation.
BGR Top Deals:
- Your Roku Stick or Fire TV Stick will never buffer again with this $17 accessory
- Amazon has a $92 smartwatch with 45-day battery life that supports both iOS and Android
Trending Right Now:
- Good lord, Android phone makers, please just stop
- 5 things you need to know about Stephen Hawking, who died overnight at age 76
- Can’t wait to play ‘Fortnite’ on your phone? Sign up for ‘FortCraft’ instead
Microsoft’s stunning new Xbox Live avatars will finally launch in April originally appeared on BGR.com on Wed, 14 Mar 2018 at 18:25:47 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.