Meet the new smart home chip with a ridiculous 10-year battery life
While the future of our homes is inevitably "smart" -- smartphones, smart TVs, smart appliances, smart wearables -- the phrase "smart home" is still something of a misnomer. But this week, SoC semiconductor designer Sigma Designs revealed a new chip that could open the door to the smart home we've all been imagining.
Sigma's new smart home platform, dubbed Z-Wave 700-Series, features a chip that has a multiyear battery lifetime and stunning sensor lifetime of over 10 years. All of that from a single coin-cell battery. But in spite of its size and low power radio performance, the 700-Series has a range of 300 feet, which can cover a multi-story house.
BGR Top Deals:
- This $27 box is all cord cutters need to record live TV without a cable company’s DVR
- These 25 delicious slow cooker recipes taste even better in this discounted Crock-Pot
Trending Right Now:
- NASA’s Juno just sent back a photo of Jupiter that looks too insane to be real
- Tiny scrap of paper from Blackbeard’s ship reveals what pirates read while at sea
- The 10 most exciting announcements so far from CES 2018
Meet the new smart home chip with a ridiculous 10-year battery life originally appeared on BGR.com on Mon, 8 Jan 2018 at 23:32:26 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.