Meet the lifeguarding drone that rescued two swimmers in Australia
A video of a drone being used to save two swimmers caught in rough surf off Australia's Far North Coast has gone viral for all the right reasons. It's one of the purest and most sensible applications of drone technology discovered to date, and it's certain to open people's eyes to the value of drones in rescue operations.
There's a lot of talk about drones and robots replacing human operators, but this example shows that for now at least, drones are just another (very effective!) tool in the human arsenal. In this case, the drone was able to fly to the swimmers and drop a life raft in the space of a minute, far faster than the response time of lifeguards on jetskis.
BGR Top Deals:
- How to cut the cord without losing live network TV or your DVR
- $26 device uses your phone to beam holographic navigation onto your car’s dash
Trending Right Now:
- Samsung found a way to kill the iPhone X notch, but Apple already has a better solution
- The Galaxy S9’s main specs detailed in extensive new report
- A new asteroid was discovered just seven hours before cruising past Earth
Meet the lifeguarding drone that rescued two swimmers in Australia originally appeared on BGR.com on Fri, 19 Jan 2018 at 15:28:50 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.