iOS 11 brought out the biggest redesign to App Store since its inception in 2008, featuring a blog-like format with updated layout and promotional video trailers (Apple calls them app previews) that automatically play as you scroll through the new Today, Apps and Games tabs.
Auto-playing app previews are nice unless you’re browsing the store while your iPhone is connected to your carrier’s cellular data network, especially if on a metered plan.
You can disable autoplay videos altogether or have App Store load them via Wi-Fi only.
Before we get to it, you don’t need to do anything unless your device runs iOS 11 or later because App Store on older iOS editions never plays app previews automatically.
How to stop autoplay videos in App Store for iPhone and iPad
1) Launch the Settings app on your device.
2) Choose iTunes & App Store from the list.
3) Tap Auto-Play Videos, which will put up a trio of options that make it easy for you to decide how app previews behave while you’re browsing the store.
4) Choose among the following options:
- On—App previews will play automatically on both Wi-Fi and cellular connections.
- Wi-Fi Only—App previews shall play automatically on Wi-Fi connections only.
- Off—Prevents App Store from automatically playing app previews.
To disable the feature altogether, choose the Off option.
This shall stop autoplay app previews in App Store, saving you from unnecessarily wasting your expensive cellular data. Don’t you worry, app pages will still show a thumbnail for the app preview under the screenshots section.
A single tap on the thumbnail prompts App Store to start playing the app preview.
According to the feature’s description, whether you choose On or Wi-Fi Only, iOS will only try autoplay app previews when you have sufficient bandwidth.
Need help? Ask iDB!
If you like this how-to, pass it along to your support folks and leave a comment below.
Got stuck? Not sure how to do certain things on your Apple device? Let us know via [email protected] and a future tutorial might provide a solution.
Submit your how-to suggestions via [email protected].