Facebook’s upcoming ‘Portal’ video chat device will reportedly cost a ridiculous $499
While Facebook is frequently late to the game, it rarely allows other industry titans to run unopposed in any category, from messaging apps to photo sharing to virtual reality. Therefore, it might not surprise you to learn that Facebook is reportedly building a video chat device called "Portal," set to launch in the second half of 2018.
According to a report from online news network Cheddar, the device will be similar to Amazon's Echo Show, which is a voice-controlled virtual assistant as well as an interactive display. But while the Portal may look similar to the Echo Show, Facebook will position it as a way for families to stay connected with video calls and social features.
BGR Top Deals:
- These 25 delicious slow cooker recipes taste even better in this discounted Crock-Pot
- This $27 box is all cord cutters need to record live TV without a cable company’s DVR
Trending Right Now:
- The 10 biggest announcements from the 3 biggest brands at CES 2018
- Groundbreaking new studies suggest the presence of a fourth dimension
- NASA’s Juno just sent back a photo of Jupiter that looks too insane to be real
Facebook’s upcoming ‘Portal’ video chat device will reportedly cost a ridiculous $499 originally appeared on BGR.com on Tue, 9 Jan 2018 at 13:22:59 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.