Facebook is coming for your TV next, with a set-top box codenamed ‘Ripley’
Undaunted by privacy scandals and the conventional wisdom that trust in the company's ability to handle consumer data has eroded considerably in recent years, Facebook is increasingly hungry to build out a hardware business and produce a line of products you'll actually want to install around your home.
Those devices include the social networking giant's Portal cameras, which let people make video calls and uses A.I. to "follow" the user as they move around during the call. They ship next month. Also on the way is a device that will sit on top of your TV, development of which is referred to internally at Facebook by the project codename "Ripley." Per a report via Cheddar, that device would allow video calling along with some degree of entertainment media consumption.
BGR Top Deals:
- SanDisk’s fastest 1TB portable SSD is on sale at its lowest price yet
- The best-selling Bluetooth earbuds with 7,600 5-star reviews are still down to $17
Trending Right Now:
- Huawei just unveiled the most beastly Android phone the world has ever seen
- Google’s Pixel 3 has a pretty serious design problem that no one’s talking about
- These three phones are going to be Samsung’s new nightmare
Facebook is coming for your TV next, with a set-top box codenamed ‘Ripley’ originally appeared on BGR.com on Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 17:02:14 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.