Elon Musk’s plan to take Tesla private could face another obstacle: Trump
There is nothing remotely normal about Elon Musk's bid, revealed last week on Twitter, to take Tesla private. He's already being sued by investors and reportedly investigated by the SEC thanks to the highly weird ways that information about this merger have trickled out, and his supposed funding from the Saudi government seems far from "secured" at the moment.
But as Bloomberg points out, even if everything else plays out per Musk's plan, there's going to be another sticking point: the Committee on Foreign Investment in the US, a government panel that reviews takeovers of American companies by foreign entities through a national security lens. The Trump administration already torpedoed one big takeover of a US tech company in the last year, and there's everything to suggest that the Saudi government taking over a major US tech company would raise some eyebrows too.
BGR Top Deals:
- $25 is all it takes to get a mosquito repellent that actually works
- $64 device adds a backup camera to your car without running any video wires
Trending Right Now:
- Everyone who died in ‘Infinity War’ and everyone confirmed to come back to life in ‘Avengers 4’
- Apple may have found a brilliant way to bring fingerprint sensors back to all-screen iPhones
- If your Pixel 2 has been lagging lately, you’re not alone
Elon Musk’s plan to take Tesla private could face another obstacle: Trump originally appeared on BGR.com on Wed, 15 Aug 2018 at 21:31:09 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.