When a patient is suffering a life-threatening condition and is rushed to the hospital, doctors are supposed to do everything in their power to save a life. That's how it works most of the time anyway, but when an unconscious elderly man showed up in the emergency room with "Do Not Resuscitate" tattooed across his chest, medical staff were left struggling to decide what to do.
The case, which is detailed in a recent installment of the New England Journal of Medicine, centers around an unresponsive diabetic patient who arrived at a Florida hospital with an elevated blood-alcohol level. University of Miami doctors began working to save his life immediately, but were taken aback by the words they saw written below the man's collarbone.
BGR Top Deals:
- How to give your Fire TV or Chromecast a huge speed boost for just $18
- Today’s top deals: Bose headphones, Call of Duty: WWII, Echo Dot, waterproof wireless speaker, more
Trending Right Now:
- Astronomers spot a planet so hostile they had a hard time believing it
- Brilliant moron uses empty snack bags to block his employer’s GPS tracking, gets fired anyway
- All Apple Watch owners can now track their heart health
Dying man with ‘Do Not Resuscitate’ tattoo leaves doctors scrambling for ethical guidance originally appeared on BGR.com on Fri, 1 Dec 2017 at 11:15:41 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.