Dashcam video shows Uber driver was looking down moments before self-driving car killed pedestrian
Police in Tempe, Arizona have released two video clips showing the final seconds before an Uber self-driving car hit and killed a pedestrian late Sunday night. The two videos show an interior (driver-facing) and exterior view in the moments before the fatal collision, but generate more questions than answers.
The exterior view shows that the car was travelling at speed down a dark, non-street-lit road (the police report said 38mph), and the headlights only pick up the pedestrian at the very last second. After watching the first clip, you'd probably be inclined to absolve Uber of any fault in the accident. However, the interior view clearly shows the driver looking down at some kind of screen in the seconds right before the crash, only glancing up and seeing the pedestrian at the last second.
BGR Top Deals:
- The popular Aukey wireless earbuds everyone loves are only $18 today on Amazon
- Control any garage door from your smartphone with this $99 device that installs in minutes
Trending Right Now:
- Apple may have fixed the thing keeping people from buying the iPhone X
- Latest Google Maps update brings a brand new feature I’ve wanted forever
- Netflix will debut 39 new original movies and shows in April – here’s the full list
Dashcam video shows Uber driver was looking down moments before self-driving car killed pedestrian originally appeared on BGR.com on Wed, 21 Mar 2018 at 19:48:34 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.