Boeing introduces ‘Son of Blackbird’, a new concept design for a Mach 5 spy plane
Boeing a few days ago introduced an incredible concept design for a spy plane that may ultimately replace the iconic and legendary SR-71 spy plane. Dubbed the Son of BlackBird, Boeing's creation is a hypersonic beast capable of traveling at five times the speed of sound, or 3,863 MPH to be more specific. As a point of contrast, the F-35 Lightning II fighter jet has a maximum speed of 1,200 mph.
Though just a concept for the time being, the design is based on more than 20 years of knowledge gleaned from projects such as NASA's experimental X-43 hypersonic aircraft, which, interestingly enough, currently holds the record for being the fastest aircraft in history after reaching a speed of Mach 9.6, or 7,310 MPH.
BGR Top Deals:
- Wireless earbuds that sound this much better than AirPods should cost way more than $24
- 5 smartwatches to check out if you don’t want an Apple Watch
Trending Right Now:
- NASA says skyscraper-sized asteroid headed toward Earth is ‘potentially hazardous’
- Samsung just launched a brand new Galaxy Note 8 version that you absolutely can’t buy
- This $110 smart thermostat has a simple feature you won’t find on any Nest or ecobee
Boeing introduces ‘Son of Blackbird’, a new concept design for a Mach 5 spy plane originally appeared on BGR.com on Wed, 17 Jan 2018 at 22:44:01 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.