Bird gets lost at sea, accidentally spawns an entire new species on a remote island
If you get lost at sea and find yourself on an island you'd probably try to build a fire, pile some sticks and stones into a makeshift home and maybe even try to signal for help. When one misguided bird found himself in the same situation, he didn't wallow in his own self pity; he created his own entirely new species.
Over the past 36 years, scientists have been closely studying the incredible story of an entirely new bird species that seemingly came out of nowhere, and it all started with one poor finch who lost his way. The peculiar tale takes place on a remote island in the Galapagos chain tucked away in the Pacific Ocean, and it's helping scientists to understand how new species can form much faster than we typically imagine.
BGR Top Deals:
- The hottest Nintendo Switch game in existence is discounted for about another 15 minutes
- You’re crazy if you don’t re-up your PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live with these Black Friday deals
Trending Right Now:
- There’s one iPhone X feature the Galaxy S9 will reportedly steal, and you’re going to love it
- Black Friday 2017: All the best deals from Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy and more
- Russian billionaire wants to beat NASA in the search for alien life, and he’s moving forward with his plan
Bird gets lost at sea, accidentally spawns an entire new species on a remote island originally appeared on BGR.com on Fri, 24 Nov 2017 at 16:00:31 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.