Astronomers now have the dumbest possible name for a moon that’s the moon of another moon
If you gaze up at the night sky there's a good chance you'll spot Earth's only large natural satellite. We just called it "the Moon," but other planets have moons too. Recently, the first evidence of an exomoon — that is, a moon orbiting a planet in another star system — was revealed, but what if we found a planet with a moon that had a moon of its own?
This entirely speculative scenario has captured the interest of several astronomers who have taken it upon themselves to come up with their own terminology to describe these as-of-yet-undiscovered objects. The best (or worst?) name candidate thus far is so silly that it's already taken the internet by storm: Moon-moons.
BGR Top Deals:
- Amazon sale slashes $55 noise cancelling headphones to just $43
- The Instant Pot with 23,000 5-star reviews was just discounted again on Amazon
Trending Right Now:
- Samsung is already trolling the Pixel 3 XL’s ugly notch
- New leak may reveal Apple’s completely overhauled iPad Pro design ahead of launch
- The iPhone XR could be far more important to Apple than we realized
Astronomers now have the dumbest possible name for a moon that’s the moon of another moon originally appeared on BGR.com on Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 22:05:08 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.