Astronomers just spotted bizarre holes on the Moon that might reveal hidden tunnels
The Moon is our closest neighbor and we've learned a lot about it over the past century or so. We've studied it, mapped it, and even visited it on more than one occasion, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a few surprises in store for us. A new research effort has uncovered one of those mysteries in the form of large holes in the lunar surface near the Moon's north pole, and scientists believe they might hint at a huge subsurface tunnel network.
The bizarre holes were spotted by researchers working with the SETI Institute and Mars Institute, both of which used imagery from NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter to identify the gaps in the Moon's dusty surface.
BGR Top Deals:
- The Nest Thermostat pays for itself even faster now that it’s discounted on Amazon
- Today’s top deals: $12 Alexa smart bulb, Nest Thermostat, Sony soundbar, perfect egg cooker, more
Trending Right Now:
- Samsung’s most exciting phone in years is ‘almost finished’ but nowhere near ready to launch
- ‘Assassin’ spiders impale their victims on a venomous pike, then watch as they die
- 9 paid iPhone apps that are free downloads today
Astronomers just spotted bizarre holes on the Moon that might reveal hidden tunnels originally appeared on BGR.com on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 at 15:52:51 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.