Astronomers just discovered something incredible about what they thought was a run-of-the-mill asteroid
Spotting asteroids has become pretty routine for astronomers working with some of the most powerful telescopes on the planet, but every once in a while a seemingly mundane space rock proves to be something special. Late last year, scientists spotted a brand new asteroid, named it 2017 YE5, and added it to the long, long list of near-Earth objects that have already been observed. Astronomers are now saying that the rock isn't what it seems to be.
In late June the rock made its closest pass of Earth for the next 170 years, so scientists decided to spend a little more time studying it before it heads back out again. When they zoomed in on what they thought was a regular ol' asteroid what they began to see double. 2017 YE5, it turns out, isn't one asteroid. It's two.
BGR Top Deals:
- Amazon’s 10 best Prime Deals of the Day on Friday
- A tiny $17 accessory is all you need to speed up your 4K Fire TV or Fire TV Stick
Trending Right Now:
- Did a beloved Avenger just tell us he’s still alive after dying in ‘Infinity War’?
- You’ve never seen an iPhone X that looks quite like this
- The launch of Samsung’s most innovative phone in years seems locked for 2019
Astronomers just discovered something incredible about what they thought was a run-of-the-mill asteroid originally appeared on BGR.com on Fri, 13 Jul 2018 at 12:26:40 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.