As Apple’s music chief leaves, Spotify’s subscriber base soars to 70 million
Jimmy Iovine talked a big game about helping Apple's streaming efforts for the long haul, but word has since surfaced that the revered music industry vet will be leaving Apple for good once his stock options vest. Iovine originally joined Apple in 2014 when Apple acquired Beats for $3 billion, still the company's largest acquisition to date.
With Iovine at the helm, Apple Music endured a shaky start and has gone on to be something of a success. Last we heard, Apple Music -- as of September 2017 -- now boasts more than 30 million paying subscribers. But for as far as Apple Music has come in recent years, Apple's streaming service still can't seem to keep pace with Spotify.
BGR Top Deals:
- Amazon sale gets you a Pyle robot vacuum for just $85
- It only costs $90 to give the sound on any TV in your house a huge upgrade
Trending Right Now:
- The Galaxy S9 might ‘reimagine’ the camera
- LG just announced a 65-inch OLED TV that rolls up like a piece of paper
- Elon Musk teases a Supercharger station with a drive-in movie theater and more surprises
As Apple’s music chief leaves, Spotify’s subscriber base soars to 70 million originally appeared on BGR.com on Sun, 7 Jan 2018 at 17:58:29 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.