Apple’s New Apple TV 4K Boast 4K HDR Support, 4K HDR Movies Via iTunes for Same Price as 1080p
Apple on Tuesday unveiled the new Apple TV 4K, which boasts support for both 4K and High Dynamic Range (HDR) content, designed to offer sharper, crisper images with true to life colors and greater detail in both dark and bright scenes.
Apple will offer a growing selection of 4K HDR content on iTunes, and iTunes users who already own existing HD titles will receive automatic upgrades of their movie to 4K HDR versions as they become available. 4K HDR content will also be available via service like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video later this year.
4K and HDR
- Support for both Dolby Vision and HDR10 ensures users can enjoy incredible-looking TV shows and movies on any HDR TV.
- Built-in high-performance 4K video scaler makes HD content look better than ever on a 4K TV.
- Always outputting to the highest resolution possible allows viewers to get the most out of their TV, whether it’s an older HDTV or the latest 4K Dolby Vision OLED.
- Automatic detection of a 4K TV’s capabilities optimizes setup for the best quality picture.
Apple TV App
The Apple TV app will expand to seven countries by the end of they year. The TV app works with Siri, making it possible to search and access content across Apple TV using just your voice.
- The TV app supports over 60 services on Apple TV and iOS devices, with more being added all the time. Whether you’re at home or on the go, it’s easy to discover and watch TV shows and movies from multiple apps in one place.
- Siri is smart about 4K HDR, so it’s unbelievably simple to find movies and TV shows in the highest picture quality across your apps (e.g., “Show me movies in 4K”).
- Later this year, the TV app is making it easier than ever to watch and get updates about live sports just by saying “Watch the Warriors game” or “What’s the score of the Cubs game?”
- Sports fans in the US will be able to track their favorite teams and get on-screen notifications whenever they are playing, as well as see all the teams, leagues and sporting events currently playing through a dedicated Sports tab.2
- Starting this month, the TV app will be available in Australia and Canada, in addition to the US. And, by the end of the year, it will expand to France, Germany, Norway, Sweden and the UK.
Apple TV at Home
If you already own an iPhone or iPad, you can share content in the living room via the Apple TV.
- Users can share recent photos and videos from your iPhone and iPad, including the best Memories, with friends and family on the biggest screen, with iCloud on Apple TV.
- It’s also simple to send movies, TV shows, home videos and photos from iPhone or iPad instantly to the TV using AirPlay from your iOS devices.
- With support for AirPlay 2, coming later this year, Apple TV can control multiple AirPlay 2-compatible speakers as well as your home theater speakers to create the ultimate home music experience.
- Apple TV goes beyond entertainment to help deliver on Apple’s vision of the smart home. Since Apple TV is always at home, it’s perfectly suited to act as a home hub for all of your HomeKit accessories, enabling remote access as well as automated control (e.g., automatically turning on the lights at sunset).