Apple is still interested in developing next-gen Micro LED displays
Even though we supposedly hit peak iPhone years ago, no one really bothered to tell Apple. On the contrary, Apple continues to spend billions on R&D every year, and the company in recent years has shown a considerable interest in developing next-gen display technologies. Even though the iPhone X represents the first iPhone to ship with an OLED display -- a display which may very well be the best OLED-based smartphone display we've ever seen -- Apple is already angling to figure out what comes next.
Over the past few years, Apple engineers has been busy exploring Micro LED display technology, hardly a surprise given Apple's obsession with developing thinner, lighter, and more energy efficient displays. Just a few months back, Apple reportedly placed an order for a batch of Micro LED displays for testing amid reports that Apple may incorporate the display technology into its product line as early as 2018. Specifically, the next-gen Apple Watch may be the first device to feature Micro LED technology.
BGR Top Deals:
- This is the best home security camera system. Period.
- This little Alexa speaker is basically an Echo Dot, and it’s $20 today only
Trending Right Now:
- Samsung accidentally confirmed it’s making a Galaxy X
- The best Black Friday 2017 sales you can shop online right now: Walmart, Best Buy, more
- World’s first manmade meteor shower is actually going to happen, and now we know when
Apple is still interested in developing next-gen Micro LED displays originally appeared on BGR.com on Mon, 20 Nov 2017 at 22:03:29 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.