The HomePod, a $349 smart speaker that signaled Apple's opening salvo in the war against Amazon Echo and Google Home, is off to a bad start. Despite reviews that stressed fantastic sound from such a small speaker, the HomePod failed to sell out, likely hurt by a poor voice assistant and a lack of standard features like multi-room pairing.
To make bad things even worse, it was revealed last week that the speaker can leave a white ring on some wooden surfaces. Apple tried to downplay the issue, saying that it’s ‘not unusual‘ for a speaker to do that, but by that point, the ‘Ring of doom’ narrative was already too strong.
BGR Top Deals:
- It’s crazy how much better the Fire TV Stick and Roku Stick are with this simple $20 accessory
- A mattress topper that basically turns any bed into a cloud is Amazon’s deal of the day
Trending Right Now:
- Dog food recall: Here are all the brands and products being withdrawn
- Latest leak may have uncovered the Galaxy S9’s most exciting secret
- Huge Galaxy S9 and S9+ leak drops a week before Samsung’s official announcement
Apple ‘didn’t test the HomePod enough,’ design experts claim originally appeared on BGR.com on Mon, 19 Feb 2018 at 19:24:50 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.