With word that Apple this past summer earmarked $1 billion for developing, producing, and acquiring original content, I naively assumed that the rumors and speculation regarding Apple snatching up Netflix were a thing of the past. After all, with Netflix currently enjoying a market cap in excess of $87 billion, it's hard to imagine Apple -- which has only made one acquisition in the billion dollar range in history -- actually pulling the trigger.
That notwithstanding, and with Trump's tax plan set to give Apple a chance to bring back its vast cash holdings abroad at a significant discount, analysts at Citi believe that the likelihood of Apple acquiring Netflix is higher than it's ever been. Specifically, Citi analysts Jim Suva and Asiya Merchant now put the odds of Apple picking up Netflix at about 40%.
BGR Top Deals:
- Today’s top deals: $139 Sonos Play:1, Bose sound bar, Fire TV QWERTY keyboard, Soylent sale, more
- These $24 wireless earbuds sound better than $159 AirPods
Trending Right Now:
- Researchers just accidentally found an effective Alzheimer’s treatment while trying to cure diabetes
- Forget the ‘boring’ Galaxy S9, there’s a cheaper alternative available right now
- Niagara Falls is coated in ice and looks absolutely insane right now
Apple buying Netflix is the rumor that simply won’t die originally appeared on BGR.com on Tue, 2 Jan 2018 at 20:14:18 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.