Analyst says Google can dominate Amazon if it offers Home Mini smart speakers for free
Morgan Stanley analyst Brian Nowak is responsible for a stream of news headlines this morning thanks to a call he's issued to Google in light of Amazon's dominance of the smart speaker market - a market that according to the Gartner will see such speakers in at least 70 percent U.S. homes by 2022.
Nowak's take is that Amazon, with its line of Echo-branded devices, is crushing it to such a degree in this space that Google should spend $3.3 billion to just give away the "Mini" version of its Google Home smart speaker, which retails for $49. "One way to look at it," Nowak writes in an analyst note that walks through his reasoning, "GOOGL's estimated US retail search profit over the next 5 years would cover this ~5X over."
BGR Top Deals:
- Today’s best deals: Awesome air fryer, return of the $10 Crock-Pot, $4 iPhone X case, $15 router, more
- You know the AirPods rivals everyone loves? They’re somehow only $18.79 right now
Trending Right Now:
- Microsoft just pulled the coolest new Windows 10 feature from its beta
- Someone just published a hands-on Galaxy Note 9 review a month before it’s even announced
- This iPhone X rumor is actually great news for the Pixel 3
Analyst says Google can dominate Amazon if it offers Home Mini smart speakers for free originally appeared on BGR.com on Fri, 29 Jun 2018 at 12:55:46 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.