Generally speaking there are lots and lots of people who find bats to be pretty creepy little creatures. It makes sense, of course, because bats are kind of freaky-looking animals, but modern day bats might actually be downright adorable compared to those that lurked underground millions of years ago. A newly-discovered species of giant burrowing bat was unearthed in New Zealand recently, and a new paper published in Scientific Reports tells us more than enough to know we'd never want to stumble across one.
The oversized bat is thought to have lived somewhere between 16 million and 19 million years ago. Its fossilized remains were discovered on the South Island in Central Otago, buried deep in sediment. It's considered a giant by bat standards, which still means it was a fairly pint-sized creature, but if you have a fear of the flying of flying mammals it's probably a good time to stop reading.
BGR Top Deals:
- Super NES Classic is in stock at a premium right now on Amazon – with Prime shipping
- Today’s best deals: Nest Thermostat, Philips Hue, $12 Alexa bulb, Ring Video Doorbell, Crock-Pot, more
Trending Right Now:
- This iPhone X deal is too good to turn down, T-Mobile customer or not
- Samsung just confirmed exactly when the Galaxy S9 will launch
- Sprint customers are about to get a very unpleasant bill hike
An ancient oversized burrowing bat was just discovered, and it’s here to fuel your nightmares originally appeared on BGR.com on Wed, 10 Jan 2018 at 13:44:12 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.