Apple's HomePod was supposed to launch this December, perfectly timed to take advantage of the busy shopping period leading up to Christmas. But in what's becoming something of a pattern, Apple last month announced that its highly anticipated smart speaker was going to be delayed until 2018. Apple didn't provide a detailed explanation as to why, only noting that it needs "a little more time before it's ready."
All in all, Apple's HomePod delay represents a huge missed opportunity as smart speakers were an incredibly popular gift this holiday season. Taking a look at the most popular apps on the App Store, the Alexa app for the Amazon Echo occupies the top spot. Google Home, meanwhile, was the sixth most popular free app. What's more, Amazon's Alexa app is currently the most popular free app for Android.
BGR Top Deals:
- $19 device doubles the speed of your Fire TV or Chromecast
- Grab a discounted slow cooker for $38 on Amazon, then try these 25 delicious recipes
Trending Right Now:
- The world’s smallest cell phone is so tiny you might accidentally swallow it
- Edward Snowden just launched an app that turns any Android device into a remote security camera
- The Galaxy S9’s ‘boring’ design will let it keep the headphone jack
Amazon Echo and Google Home benefited from Apple’s HomePod delay originally appeared on BGR.com on Tue, 26 Dec 2017 at 14:20:24 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.